I'm a cooking teacher and believe it or not, some of my students have never tasted a kaki or a beet!
I offer two innovative workshops (one about fruits and another one about vegetables) destined for the schools, kindergarten, or elderly houses.
My workshops that can be held in Norwegian, English, French or Spanish provide fun and simple ways to help children to give them more confidence and curiosity to try new ingredients and develop their taste buds.
My workshop for the elderly houses is about to fight against the loneliness of the persons through playful activity.
Xplor workshop is allowing people to reconnect to the tastes and smells of their childhood, develop their five senses as well as reviving their cultural heritage.
My methodology is explained below and also by rolling over this gallery.
Xplor workshop methodology for the kids and adults
I come to the school/ kindergarten or elderly house with my ingredients and can offer different workshops for up to 20 students/persons during 2-3 hours.
Another module that includes a cooking course is possible for a period of 4-6 h or even more during a vacation camp.
1. We play Xplor games with the goal (like our famous explorers of the game) to collect the natives' fruits and vegetables of each continent.
2. Once the game is over, we are ready to start our collective tasting session by using my « taste table » document that allows us to:
- Identify the basic 5 flavors ( sweetness, sourness, bitterness, saltiness, umami), and give a notation of each fruit/vegetable.
- Develop the 5 senses and proceed with a blind tasting...
- "Xploring" unusual pairings with fruits, vegetables, spices, and herbs. ( Examples of tasty pairings: Basil/Pineapple, Strawberry/Black pepper, Melon/Mint…)
- Discover and enjoy seasonal new exotics fruits/vegetables like the Kiwano, Artichoke, Mangosteen, Granadilla…
3. We finish our workshop by learning how to really enjoy the food and develop the palate by using the wine tasting methodology ( first nose !)
All the participants take a leaflet with the activity sheet and my food pairing guides to reinforce the messages at home.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you need more information or wish to book your workshop.